The Old Tradng Post

jean-l-hays

Susan needed to get away from Amarillo and Derek just for a few days. Another big fight about children and her career. She started driving, when Derek was at work, on old Route 66 toward a remote spot. She could clear her head there. Tucumcan, New Mexico was remote and had a cool motel and trading post.

After arriving, Susan went into the Tucumcari Trading Post to pick up supplies. It looked dilapidated and closed but it was open. She heard the door open after her. There stood Derek, with a tire iron in his hand. #amwriting #amblogging #writing

*Photo courtesy of Jean-L-Hays

**This post is part of Friday Fictioneers

Tagged with:
Posted in Flash Fiction
20 comments on “The Old Tradng Post
  1. Sandra says:

I think she’s made a big mistake here. Nicely done.

Liked by 1 person

2. Jade M. Wong says:

Don’t just leave it like that! Right at the most suspenseful part. Loved your take on the prompt 🙂

Liked by 1 person

3. Sounds like Derek’s really pissed.

4. Iain Kelly says:

Good story Rosemary, a chilling end, I don’t think it’s going to end well for her. Well written.

5. Dale says:

She chose the wrong place to run to! This will not end well…

Liked by 1 person

6. ceayr says:

Poor Derek, getting a flat tyre so far from home.
    And poor Susan, about to get a flat head!

7. Dear Rosemary,

I was reasonably certain I’d left a comment. Perhaps it’s floating around in cyberspace. So if this is repetition, forgive me. I wanted to be sure to welcome you to Friday Fictioneers. I hope Susan turned tail and ran as fast as she could. Derek sounds like a monster. Well done.

Shalom,

Rochelle

Liked by 1 person

• Thank you so much, Rochelle. Glad to be here. The strangest thing – yesterday I saw a comment from you. Last night, when I started to answer my comments, your comment wasn’t there. No idea what happened to it! Thanks again.

8. michael1148humphris says:

I loved this story till Derek arrived back on the scene. I hope Susan takes the tire iron of him, repairs his tyre, and sends him on his way. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

9. Call me Pollyanna but I was thinking Derek had decided to escape that day too and just happened to break down where she’d stopped… until I read everyone else’s comments. What’s that song ‘If you like drinking Pina Colada & dancing in the rain?’ 😀

Liked by 1 person