The Man’s Retreat

image

We looked at the property in the fall and the deep gold of the leaves astounded us. Behind the main house was this shed. Just the kind of place my husband liked for himself. A retreat. Never mind that is was open air with an air conditioner in a strange place or that it was only partially painted. My husband was handy. He could fix all that. I think he wanted to buy the property more for the shed than the house.

He had big plans for that shed. It would be his work room for his woodworking. He could store his plethora of parts he kept to fix anything that went wrong in the house or with the cars.

More than that, he could make it his own with a little creativity. He insisted that we buy the property. He already felt at home. #amwriting #writing #blogging #FFfAW #flashfiction

*Thanks to PricelessJoy for #FFfAW ahd pholor for the photo prompt.

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Flash Fiction, Labor Day
12 comments on “The Man’s Retreat
  1. Michael says:

Nicely done Rosemary enjoyed your take and one hopes it does all work out for him.

Liked by 1 person

2. Hehehe!
    Men can be just like that.

Liked by 1 person

3. Iain Kelly says:

Oh , I long for a shed like that – a little sanctuary away from a busy life! Lovely writing.

4. I can almost feel the excitement of her husband about buying this property and him having his own woodworking shop. Great story, Rosemary!

Liked by 1 person

5. maria says:

He has a great taste. It’s indeed a homey place. ❤

Liked by 1 person

6. Ellespeth says:

That’s my husband! He doesn’t have a shed just a storage area and a closet but…he knows where each and every tool is when we need it. I really liked the personal touch of this piece – the universal feel of it.
    Ellespeth

Liked by 1 person

7. afairymind says:

Having a place in your home where you can express yourself creatively is important! The shed looks like it can become a perfect such place – with a little TLC! Lovely story. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

8. luckyjc007 says:

It’s so wonderful that he found just the place he wanted and she seems to be o.k. with the idea as well, so things will probably work out just fine. Great story. 🙂

9. milliethom says:

Most men love their sheds, and you’re right when you use the word ‘retreat’. My husband spends hours in his shed, making and/or mending things, surrounded by great stacks of tools and garden equipment. The shed in your story would evidently be the ideal place for the husband to express his creativity – after a little bit of necessary handiwork, of course.

10. I foresee him enjoying the days spent in there.

11. Grant-Sud says:

Very good writing. If anything I thought the meaning was a little too straight forward. I did enjoy it though. Very comforting and sweet. 🙂